Merrimack Valley Heart & Vascular Center
Comprehensive services to treat cardiovascular disease and support recovery
Our services diagnose and treat complex cardiovascular diseases, and help patients recover from cardiac events. These services include:
- Cardiac rehabilitation (read more below)
- Coronary angiography
- Non-invasive testing for vascular disease
- Nuclear imaging
- Pacemaker and defibrillator insertions
- Percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)
- Thrombolytic therapy for acute arterial or venous thrombosis
- Stress testing
- TTE (Transthoracic Echocardiogram)
- TEE (Transesophageal Echocardiogram)
The most advanced cardiovascular technology in the Merrimack Valley
Our 6,000 square foot catheterization suite provides a comfortable and convenient environment in which to receive care. It offers dedicated patient recovery rooms in the suite, a dedicated waiting room is available for those who accompany patients, and parking is available just outside the suite.
The centerpiece of our catheterization suite is the impressive Siemens C-arm technology that interventional cardiologists use to treat cardiovascular disease and save lives. (Seen below)
Using this technology our physicians can:
- See the structure and performance of your moving heart
- Capture crystal clear, precise images for diagnosis and treatment of coronary artery disease
- Perform coronary angiography and percutaneous coronary interventions; often a lifesaving measure, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Visualize coronary arteries to place stents that can prevent blockages
- Measure blood pressure throughout the heart that can lead to treatments to prevent lung or heart disease
- As cardiac catheterization procedures are conducted, data flows between imaging, the catheterization suite, reading room, and those who will provide follow up care.
These advances synchronize the team, support cardiologists, improve quality of care and increase patient safety.
Our team approach to care includes:
- Specially trained RNs experienced in critical care, cardiac assessment, education and Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Certified radiologic technologists
A nationally certified cardiac rehabilitation program
We are proud that our cardiac rehabilitation program is certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR). Since 2005 we have passed a rigorous peer-reviewed accreditation process every three years. The accreditation attests to our adherence to standards and guidelines developed and published by the AACVPR and other professional societies and guarantees patients that they will be cared for by cardiac rehabilitation experts in a high quality, safe environment.
The COVID19 virus has changed who can participate in our cardiac rehabilitation program. Due to limited space and social distancing requirements, we can only offer the Monitored Exercise program to patients with new cardiac events, who must be our top priority for care. The feasibility of reopening the maintenance program will be continually reevaluated.
Supervised exercise training program for PAD patients
Supervised Exercise Therapy (SET) for patients who show symptoms of Peripheral Artery Disease (PAD) is now available at our Methuen Campus. SET is one of the top treatment recommendations for the management of PAD, to increase walking performance, reduce leg symptoms, improve functional capacity, and enhance overall quality of life.
What is SET?
- A 30 to 45 minute supervised exercise session, held 3 days a week, focused on treadmill walking
- It’s delivered by exercise physiologists and registered nurses trained in exercise therapy for PAD
- The program is conducted under the direct supervision of a cardiologist
Medicare covers up to 36 sessions in an 84-day period, with a co-pay that is approximately $11 a session. Other insurance plans may cover SET, but it is determined on an individual basis.
Classes are held:
- Mondays and Thursdays, between 7:30 am and 6:00 pm
- Wednesdays between 7:30 am and 3:00 pm
For more information call 978-687-0151, ext. 2385
Ask your physician today if you are a candidate for the SET program.
For more information about Cardiac Rehabilitation at Holy Family Hospital, please contact the program coordinator
at (978) 687-0156, ext. 2385.
Holy Family Hospital -Haverhill Campus
140 Lincoln Ave., Haverhill, MA 01830
Stress Lab - 978-521-8660
Nuclear Medicine - 978-521-8595
Holter Monitoring - 978-521-8660
EKG - 978-521-8655
Echocardiogram - 978-521-8121
Holy Family Hospital- Methuen Campus
70 East St., Methuen, MA 01844
Stress Lab - 978-687-0151, ext. 2661
Nuclear Medicine - 978-687-0151, ext. 2463
Holter Monitoring - 978-687-0151, ext. 2661
EKG - 978-687-0151, ext. 2660
Echocardiogram - 978-687-0151, ext. 2149
Cardiac Rehabilitation - 978-687-0151, ext. 2385